Friday, June 10, 2016

This is True Rocket Science

NASA 
a lackluster picture was taken with an
iPhone 5s zoomed as much as it can

A few weeks ago I heard on the news that the International Space Station would be passing over my neck of the woods and would be visible with the naked eye.  I went out at 11:35pm as the newscasters had suggested and a few seconds after 11:37pm (the exact time they said it would pass), there in the sky was a tiny starlike dot, screaming across the sky.  It sort of reminded me of an airplane flying overhead in the darkness of night, but there were no red flashing lights like are often seen on an airplane, just a dot, moving very fast.

I've been mesmerized.

I think most of us know there is an International Space Station, launched November 20, 1998, the ISS continues flying circles around the earth about every hour and a half, travels about 17,150 mph.  That's about 4.7 miles per second!

It was suggested I download an app for my iOS smartphone called "goisswatch".  It's pretty cool and provides a ton of information including the exact times the ISS will fly by my location so I can get an eyeful, where to look in the sky with a sky map and lots more.  It's available for iOS, Android and others.  There is a widget below for you to check out your geographic location, anywhere in the world.

Check out NASA for interesting facts and figures...  and gain an understanding how important getting a great education is...  true rocket science.

No comments: