Tuesday, April 17, 2018

Second Infusion Underway, Minor Difficulties So Far

Finally made it to the beginning to round 2 of Chemo. on my road to recovery and cancer elimination.  Of course, continued prayers are encouraged and welcomed, I remain positive and #HaveBelief I will get to restart an active life in about 6 months or so when round 12 is complete.

Admittedly, today didn't go quite as smooth as round 1 did, but, like troopers, we made it through.  My treatments always begin with a blood draw for my Oncologist to ensure I am healthy enough for the infusion - which does tend to kick your butt, makes you tired and a whole host of other potential side effects, its important I am as healthy as can be.  There would normally be a lot of needle sticking during this long process, however, since I had a port implanted, we named Chester Thirdnip (Carol the Caregiver came up with the final name), all needle pokes take place through Chester.  With a little pretreatment with Lidocaine, I feel nothing ...  it's awesome, I love it!  Blood draws, chemo infusion, whatever is needed for CAT scans, my pal Chester Thirdnip handles.


The apparent red dot is the emergency
exit sign over the door across the room
I got a good look at the needle assembly used to connect to Chester Thirdnip, I almost never watch when I'm being poked or having blood drawn...  it has a tendency to give me an unplanned instant nap...  what a woose.  It doesn't usually bother me watching them take blood from you, just don't like to see my own sucked out of me.  The needle looks kind of serious and big.

There was no problem with the connection the during the first round, but, we had issues this time.  After connection, my nurse and her backup nurse had a problem flushing the connection as if it was blocked.  They were about to try some meds to dissolve any blockage, which can and does occasionally happen when Carol reminded them that at the time of implant, the report showed there was a slight kink in the catheter that may have to be rectified (that means replaced to me).  We laid my chair back, I raised my left arm and voila, things began working.  I had to move to get things flowing during the infusion several times to clear the pumps "downstream blockage" error message.  The portable pump has been doing okay with no problems yet, it infuses very slowly over the next 46 hours.  

If there are problems again during infusion 3 in a couple of weeks, they will problem had radiology intervention take pictures to see what's going on with the catheter itself.  We'll cross that bridge then.


Once the 2 hours infusion is done, there's a flush and then a kick starter for the 5FU and portable pump connection.  Fluorouracil (5-FU), sold under the brand name Adrucil among others, is a medication used to treat cancer. By injection into a vein, it is used for colon cancer, esophageal cancer, stomach cancer, pancreatic cancer, breast cancer, and cervical cancer.  So happy that kickstart is done via the port and not by direct injection - look at the size of that syringe!

It's all good, chemo is my friend right now.  I #HaveBelief and #HaveFaith this will play a significant part in my recovery and air int he killing and removal of the bad cells that may continue to lurk within me.  That, improving my diet, doing my exercise (thank you Susan and others for encouraging me to exercise more than I was).  I am well on the road to recovery.

One last parting thought, I so much appreciate the words of encouragement, the brave souls that have gone this route before me, the GoFundMe support, cards, emails, text messages, food, and more ...  we live amongst amazing people, especially you!  Many thanks.


- - -  

Check out my Scentsy Web store at: http://DanGreeley.Scentsy.us
Want to join my amazing team of consultants?  http://bit.ly/JoinDan

Interesting in reading about my fight with cancer?

Read about Take Them A Meal page my daughter setup

Never, ever, forget how amazing you are and can be!



No comments: