Wednesday, July 6, 2016

I love my Spaghetti Meat Sauce

In my opinion, there is nothing better than a great, thick meat sauce on spaghetti or in lasagna.  Meaning no disrespect to the jarred brand labels sauces, they just don't cut it.  Not being able to find what I really like led me to start experimenting many years ago when I was in the catering business.  Of course, then, I was mainly building a sauce to use with baked ziti for hundreds of people, I now normally only make it crock pot size batches for dinner, dipping and left overs.

Yesterday, I think I made my best ever.

All sorts of comments on Facebook for the picture I posted, thank you very much, I was asked if I was going to share the sauce and my recipe.  Ha!  You better get here quick if you want to try some and I don't use a recipe!  Nevertheless, I will give you the gist of what I use and how I make it.  My guess is that this will be the most expensive spaghetti sauce there is, but, you get what you pay for.

Since I really don't use a recipe, the amount, quantities and sizes are approximate...  that is the fun with building it.  I'd call this a typical batch for a family dinner, maybe some left over for tomorrow or for using warmed up in a salsa like manner with taco chips.

I start with jarred sauce, it's a good start.  I'm partial to Prego, I think if you are just going to have jarred sauce on spaghetti, Prego is the best....  but it needs my help.  For this batch, a large jar, it's about 67 ounces or just over 4 pounds.  Add to a crock pot of sufficient size to hold this and a lot more.

Next I cook up at least a pound and a half at the minimum of good quality ground beef.  Browned and broken up.  Drain all the liquid off and just add the ground beef into your crock pot.  When I say drain off, I will normally keep the liquid to cook sausage in, right in the same pan works well.

In the ground beef drippings, I add a package of sausage.  We're not talking breakfast sausage links, but, the large, fat pieces.  Normally I just use sweet sausage however once in a while I would mix in some hot sausage or use all hot sausage.  You could use garlic sausage or any combination to suit your taste.  Normally about 6 pieces for a batch this size.  Once cooked, before adding to the sauce, I either chop it into very small pieces or chop in a blender.

There's nothing like good pepperoni either.  Most often ground in a blender or shipped into very small pieces (a lot more work).  I only use beef pepperoni, I'm not crazy about the turkey variety.

Depending on my mood when making it, I may also add chopped pieces of cooked mushrooms, hard salami or anything else that suits my fancy, and is available in the refrigerator.  These are often not added unless I purposely get  the items knowing I'm going to make a batch.

Typical ingredients:

  • Prego sauce of any flavor - classic, meat, mushroom ....  which ever you want
  • Ground beef - at least a pound and a half
  • Sausage - about 6 pieces (ground up)
  • Pepperoni - a good size piece from a stick or half a bag of slices (chopped)
  • Cooked chopped mushrooms or other meats
  • occasionally, finely chopped celery and onion
  • Spices to taste:
    Salt and Pepper
    Onion salt
    Oregano
    Old Bay (thanks to Rita)
    Basil
    Garlic salt
    whatever else strikes me - and there usually are more

All stirred up in the crock pot, sample often, simmer on warmer or low for 4-6 hours....  delish!

- - - - - 


Check out my Scentsy pages and connect with me,
If you are outside of North America, check out Director Dan's Happenings
blog post "Scentsy Around the World",


No comments: