Monday, August 25, 2008

It's about time I got back to the blog

It's been a long time since I have been here. Unfortunately, it was my Dad's death that prompted me to get back here... weird. I think I have changed, for better or worse. Nothing too big I guess, just a different focus.

Work has been... let's say nothing instead... I haven't totally lost my mind. However, I will say I have a great staff, likely I have not said how much I appreciated them lately, most of them are superstars.

Since my Dad's illness, I recalled a statement he always reminded me of... "to soon we get old, too late we get smart". He wasn't the author, but he was the teacher that tried to teach me earlier. I'm just starting to get it now.

I found out that the VA would give my mom and dad additional funds to live on just for the asking because they needed it... but they didn't do that until they moved to a retirement community that cost more per month and had to borrow the money to make ends meet. Then we find out that because my Dad passed during the 6 to 9 months it takes the VA to process the request, they get nothing... nada, nothing retroactive... it's as if they never asked. The funds they had to borrow (as the VA said they had to) are now the responsibility of my mom. Hmmm, I think I need to withhold comments again, but the VA has not heard the last of this.

So, now we are in the situation where my mom is in the new place and loving it, as close to real retirement as she has ever been (at 84 years old) and I'm going to keep her where she is if there is any way possible. If you're reading this, you can help... and you'll save money or make money in the process... call me and ask how.

The one thing I have learned from this, is be prepared for the end, anytime. Living will, last will, funeral arrangements, all that stuff none of us want to do, needs to be done. It's important so others are not forced into making decisions about what should or should not be done... take the guess work out of it.

No comments: