Sunday, August 28, 2011

There's A Saying....

John Maxwell once said “People do not care how much you know until they know how much you care.”  I'd like to borrow that concept and say "People won't know how much you love them until you show them how much you care."  Life is too short for all the drama; focus on what matters and be in as much happiness as possible each and every day of our life.  Hopefully they will accept us for who we are.

The lady pictured in this post is someone I'd like to consider as a friend, probably an acquaintance at best... the mom of one of my son's former hockey teammates, is who I wrote about a few days ago that gave me a wake up call. Early yesterday morning, August 28th,  Heidi's courageous battle with cancer came to an end.  As she wished, she was at home with those she loved.  Heidi found Caring Bridge a comforting way to communicate with all of us who called her a friend.  I was not really close personal friends with Heidi or her husband David or their children for that matter"; we were just hockey parents with a common interest between us. 

What Heidi shared with and reminded us of over the past few years is how important life, family and friends really are.  How positive whe was during her entire battle. We are all different people and all have different likes, wants and desires...  what Heidi reminded me to do is not to wait until it is too late to share those precious thoughts with those you love and care about, whether or not it is returned... it is how life should be. I only hope I could be that person.

Rest in Peace Heidi...  you have some good company up there... too many to name.

No comments: