Monday, May 24, 2010

The Arizona Immigration Laws - law vs compassion?


Reading some of the thousands of articles regarding the newly legislated immigration laws in Arizona.  I gotta tell ya, my gut is still telling me it still comes down to illegal is still illegal.  Why don't we just do it right?  If I jump the fence at a major league ball park, chances are I might get asked for my ticket.  If I don't have one, out I go.  If I were to jump the gate in a local bank and start chatting with a teller, I'll likely be thrown out and arrested.  Why is this different with anyone who can't prove who they are and whether they have a right to be where they are?

Granted, I know little of the immigration law or what it takes to come into this country to legally live and work here on a long term basis; but I do understand right and wrong.  Having said that, if it came down to survival of my family, I would do just about what ever it took, including becoming an illegal immigrant.  I do have compassion and understanding for the plight many foreigners face and why they want to come to this great country.  There is a right way and a wrong way...  there just is not a fast track to help the estimated 450,000 illegal immigrants in Arizona alone.  Convince someone who's house was just broken into; or a woman that was just raped; it is okay because we didn't ask if it was okay for the alleged perpetrator to even be there because someone else might have been offended.  Since we don't want to offend anyone, so we ask no one?  Come on people, use your head, have you read the paper or watch TV since since Sept 11, 2001, it's the world we live in today.  It's coming to America! 

One story that has me concerned is a AP story I found on FindLaw.com.  I can't reprint any part of it here, you'll have to read it there.  It's being reported by the AP and others all over the Internet that experts feel the new laws will lead to racial profiling and discrimination.  So, if a bad person from (you insert the place here) gets stopped by police and has no identification, are the police expected to just let them go and do no further investigation?  Are the experts concerted that if the police stop someone of Hispanic decent and they also have no identification, they should not be allowed to question them because that's discrimination or profiling?  Well, I would agree that they might be profiled as someone trying to hide something.  I just don't get it, this is not a racial issue at all.

To those in the U.N. that might think Arizona's laws are "hostile to ethnic minorities and immigrants" are wrong.  The laws are aimed to deal with law breakers.

Some of my references:
  1. New Your Times, Arizona Enacts Stringent Law on Immigration By Randal C. Archibold Published: April 23, 2010 
  2. FindLaw.com, AP story UN rights experts criticize Arizona law posted May 11, 2010
  3. The Washington Examiner, A carefully crafted immigration law in Arizona by Byron York on April 26, 2010
  4. A CBS News article titled Arizona Immigration Law Faces Legal Challenges posted April 26, 2010
  5. NPR story titled Arizona Passes Tough Illegal Immigration Law. A dialog led by Ted Robbins on April 20, 2010.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good fill someone in on and this fill someone in on helped me alot in my college assignement. Thanks you as your information.