Tuesday, May 11, 2010

What a compliment - I'm a renegade

Today, I met an IT support professional from Oregon that said as we shook hands...  "ah, you're Dan Greeley, your reputation precedes you".  Wow, laying it on the line to me, I wondered if he meant the reputation was good or bad?  I finally asked and found out it was good, but I sensed a bit of hesitation as he confirmed that.  My new found friend went on to say well "you're sort of know as a renegade" to which I readily agreed, I think to his amazement. 

"You admit it?" he asked with a voice full of astonishment.  I sure do, here's why.  Although not all dictionary definitions paint a pretty picture of what a renegade is; in this context, my view of being a renegade is a good thing.  A renegade can be thought of someone that just refuses to do things that are illogical, don't follow common sense or just don’t make business sense; for the betterment of the business. How do I know? I just know.

Following a "business as usual" model, when there are better, more efficient and effective ways, is a crazy way to operate. It does not make good business sense to follow others down the wrong path.  If a change is in order, then you can not do what you've always done, otherwise, you'll be where you've always been.

If a renegade follows the law, mandates and other necessary business rules of the road and finds a better way, then that is who I am. However, be clear in that if you show me a better way that "helps" the customer and can be done at lower cost in a more efficient and effective manner than what I may have suggested, then we'll go your way in a heart beat. However, I expect the same from you if my way proves to be the best way. Just because a method, process or procedure is how we always did it before is NOT justification to keep doing it. Not following the more cost effective and efficient way is just plain stupid. If that makes me a renegade, then I am.

Being a renegade can be a really good thing, but you must have thick skin, you must be prepared to take a few bruises... lots of bruises, but it your reasoning is solid... in the long run, the organization wins... the customers win... you are a key commodity.

No comments: