Sunday, May 16, 2010

A Time for Reflection, and change

I made a post on Facebook earlier this week saying "Ever tried so hard to make something better... go round and round doing good things only to take a look at where you are... an find out nothing has changed, nothing is better? What an energy and life zapper!".   That same night I was by someone, "is this post about me or something I 've done"?  I think now I might have answered too quickly when I said "no, it is just about everything and just how I feel".  In retrospect (isn't that often the best perspective), I think I should have given a resounding "YES IT IS".  Not personal for that one person, but personal for everyone, including me.

For starters, let's be clear that you are not going to read any new revelations here, nothing new and nothing that has not been said before.  I'm thinking that all the facts, leadership scoop, management expertise words of wisdom are already out there, just some of them have not clicked with us yet.  This is just my perspective and how I see things.  Some things that seem totally logical to me, but completely foreign to others, maybe you.  So, here's my perspective and frustration, my suggestions and thoughts, I hope something clicks for you.

It all boils down to Rule Number 6.  Google it, I'm not kidding.  What a different world we would live in, if we all applied Rule Number 6.  Apply it at home, apply it at work, apply it everywhere and every aspect of your life.

Here's the challenge.  Starting today, try to apply the concepts of Rule Number 6....  step back or stop yourself when you find yourself asserting yourself when it is not necessary...  go out of your way to do something different and better for someone everyday.  Write a hand written thank you note...  send a candy bar with the note... bring in a box of ice cream bars to the office some afternoon, hand them out to those you work with (maybe in a different department) and thank them for there part in making it great.  Do something unexpected and heartfelt... make someone feel good rather than stressing them out.

No comments: