Tuesday, June 5, 2012

$100 for carry on bags? They deserve it...

When I first heard Spirit Airlines was going to begin charging $100 for carry on baggage, I thought who the heck would be so stupid to pay or even fly on Spirit.  Now that I have read one of the stories on CNN (http://cnnmon.ie/Mv8n2x), it appears that the fee is not for carry on bags themselves, it is for the oversized and other bags that must be checked at the gate.  Hmmm.

I took the picture attached last month while standing in line to board.  Special needs folks were being boarded and this couple passed me en route to the jetway.  In addition to the child the mom was carrying, and I don't have a problem with allowing folks with kids to board early, however, check out what they were packing, and you can't see it all.

Mom had a child and a roller suitcase.  Dad was pushing a stroller with a small carry on, perhaps a diaper sized bag below the stroller, a suitcase in the car seat, sitting on the stroller.  Yes, we had to wait while all this was dropped at the end of the jetway...  at least airline personal had already tagged everything.  I think this is what Spirit is planning on charging for...  for this couples sake, glad they weren't on Spirit after the rate increase....  at $100 per bag checked, it could be an expensive check at the gate option.

Now, on the other hand, these in extra "fees" don't seem to be prorated or fair, across the board.  I normally fly Southwest...  I like their corporate philosophy, their customer service and the fact they don't charge extra for baggage, at the ticket counter or at the jetway.  However, I hate gouging and charging for something that really, is nothing but gouging.  The airlines are not alone in this practice, they just happen to be who I'm pointing it out about right now.

No comments: