Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Are our kids paying the price for our mistakes?

Is the difference between the "have's" and the "have nots" partially a result of our mistakes?  Quite honestly, I really don't care about the "have's", but I am quite concerned about our kids who end up limited because of our short coming.  At least in my case, my short comings.

We all make mistakes, misjudgments, errors in our ways....  call it what you may.  If you haven't made any, I made them for you.  What is important is that most of us don't make mistakes on purpose.  Nevertheless, we make them.  What is really bothering me, is that my kids, as they step into adulthood, have been forced into difficult situations, because of me.

Life is not fair, I get that.  I'd just like to see some situations changed so our youngsters don't start out in the hole.  Why should financial aid for students, or college loans, including FAFSA, be based on the income of the parents?  I just don't get why the kids are penalized because the choices I made as a parent, that may not have worked out as planned, thus, the kids pay the price for college because they are not eligible...  and they pay right through the nose.

Kudos to those parents whose plans worked out as they hoped and have been able to help their kids move into adulthood.  A lesson I learned, too late, is that this is all a game, my kids ended up on the losing team without choice, now they have no choice, dig deep and pay up, yourself, dad screwed up.

Sorry, just feeling a little frustrated.

After thought....
I posted the previous words earlier (or later last night).  Kirk Weisler looks into my soul like only he and one other person can...  and write on his T4D blog just for me...  not really, but it seems like it.  He is such a positive inspiration to me.  Thanks Kirk for your post today that inspires me to move on...

http://kirkweisler.com/t4d/2013/08/21/let-it-go-stop-sinking-like-a-stone/

I encourage to sign up for Kirk's blog post...  mind too if you want both sides of the story...




No comments: