Wednesday, March 9, 2016

If you can't find it on Google....

I've said for a long time, if you can't find what you are looking for on Google, you probably really don't need to know it.  While I don't know if that is really a true statement or not, I think at least in a majority of cases, it is.  I put it to the test today, talk about a time killer.

Do you ever watch Live with Kelly and Michael on CBS weekday mornings?  It's one of the things I can do without a DVD now that I'm retired.  One of the things they do every day is play "Travel Trivia".  If you're not familiar, they make a phone call to a contestant, and ask them a question about something that was said on the previous show that aired.  Today's question was something like: "on yesterday's show, what actor did we say had been made into a chocolate bunny for Easter"?

The contestant has 20 seconds to answer and only the first answer counts.  I didn't watch yesterday show, so, I tested my Google theory.  I Googled the question.  Low and behold, on top of the list was the closed caption transcript of yesterday's show.


A quick click on the link and a Ctrl-F (a standard shortcut to Find something on a page) and I begin typing chocolate, although I only got the first few letters in and I found the answer. I'm thinking it all took less than 5 seconds from the time I entered the Google search to the answer, Benedict Cumberbatch, who ever he is. Of course, I would have lost if I was called since I didn't think of this until well after the 20 seconds had elapsed, a touch of hindsight. I'll be ready next time.


The bottom line, my Google theory proved true, at least in this case and secondly, if you are ever called to play Travel Trivia, have the closed caption transcript open on your computer before you are asked the question, bon voyage!



No comments: