Saturday, April 23, 2016

Gun Controls - are we where we need to be?

picture found on the Internet
I was reminded not too long ago of how guns were handled and used in the days when I went to high school, in the mid 60's.  I'll admit, I was not much of a hunter or target shooter, but did have a .22 and a shotgun (or knew where I could borrow one if I wanted on) had access to a fairly large variety of guns.  It was really common for most pickup trucks to have a gun rack in the back window with a rifle or shotgun right there in plain sight.  They were often loaded, I'm not sure if that was allowed back then or not.  The reminded from a former school mate was that - yes, there were problems back then.  People got in fights, fist fights in the schoolyard or at a local bar, but you never heard of someone going out and getting a gun and coming back to shoot someone.  I use never as a generality, I'm sure there were murders and some incidents back then, just not like there is in this day and age.

Let's make no mistake about it, there have been some horrific tragedies happen in the country, especially over the past 10-15 years.  So many people have been killed by what can only be described as radical, sick, insane human beings.  Senseless killings.  Innocent people and mere children were taken from us.  I can not imagine the pain the parents and loved ones must feel.  Words can not describe the anger they must feel, or what I would feel if I were in their position.  I'm not sure I would be in a position to think and reason logically.  The rage, the urge to want to lash out at anyone to help ease the pain would be overwhelming.



Unfortunately, it seems that there are many people making recommendations, accusations, or whatever you may call them, that are just not reasonable or logical.  Things like suing gun makers intentionally market their weapons, including military-grade guns like the AR-15 used in the Newtown massacre, to young men, some of whom may be inclined to violence.  Should soda makers be sued and held accountable for people drinking too much soda, becoming overweight and putting a burden on our health care systems?  Should car manufacturers be held accountable for building cars that go "fast" and intentionally marketing them to people who like to drive fast and then kill someone because of a poor judgement while using that car?  I can only envision the pain, but our fight must be against the likes of Adam Lanza, the scum criminals that don't follow the rules or laws to begin with.


Most recently, close to where I live, I'm a quite concerned about the citizens petition to change bylaws in Longmeadow regarding ownership of firearms. While I do not live in Longmeadow, MA, the suggested changes could certainly affect me and many others who live in surrounding towns.  We're getting a little carried away with imposing restrictions on law-abiding citizens as "feel good" legislation that will really have little or no effect on the real problems?

My nephew reminds me "You're not allowed to restrict a RIGHT. a restriction like this is no more constitutional than restrictions on who can live there based on race or religion".  I agree.  


Let's fix our world the right way, deal with criminals, the mentally challenged, the uneducated, and work on the source of the problems, not the symptoms or tragic results of not doing so.  

What do you think?  


No comments: