Monday, January 9, 2012

January's Challenge

This is positively going to be a good month.

My goal for the month is to turn the leaf over...  to start anew....  to live for a renewed purpose.  God works in amazing ways as I was immediately challenged with a very difficult situation at work and this lurking cough turning into a real feeling of being ill.  I couldn't hold my grandson after he came home from surgery so I didn't spread my germs and I wasn't available to help my daughter move into her new house.  How can I be positive?  Simple.  Those are just roadblocks and hiccups that try to break our will to do what's right.

It was first suggested to me that I should write a book in the mid 1980's.  I don't recall the persons name right now, but I remember where his office was on Route 1 in Portsmouth, NH.  I was going through a tough time and decided to continue talking to the marriage counselor my then former wife and I had seen while we were still married.  I really tried to do "the right thing" in all things I did, especially as it related to the kids during that time (and during the divorce of my first wife as well).  For the most part I had been putting on a good show, being tough and happy on the outside, dying on the inside.  I think I hid the dying part pretty well, maybe not as well as I thought.

Today is a new beginning.  Today is D-Day...  Dan's day...  Do it Day... Day one of the new beginning.  If you don't do anything different, you can hardly expect to achieve different results.  If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you always got.  Change is only the result of change.  Thank you Kirk Weisler for the bag of corks, it so easily will help me explain how change can produce results, it's so obvious. (I love analogies and props).  Now to apply the "Cork Theory" to the life I want.

I think Napoleon Hill discussed "definite in purpose" in Think and Grow Rich (I need to verify that reference).  What are our goals?  What is the purpose for which we are?  That's first.  These are some of the thins running through my head.
  1. Find a good non-denominational bible based church...  I miss the life of Oasis Family Fellowship and must find a new place to call home.
  2. Be a better family member... take charge of my household and the things that surround it.
  3. Don't miss the things my kids and grand kids do (I like this one and do a pretty good job now).
  4. Be a better leader and mentor to and for my staff.
  5. Do more to help those in need of help
  6. Share my story with as many that I can find that will listen
  7. Have a story to tell worth telling and tell it at a national convention (I  know what this means - it's a placeholder for now)

No comments: