Monday, December 12, 2016

It's All Pretty SImple

There are two simple truths that we all could live by.  Doing so would certainly make the world around us better, especially our relationships with others.  The first was taught to me by my Dad.  Looking back I'd have to say he was a well intentioned, telephone construction business owner - he built and managed the infrastructure....  the poles, the cables, and such.  He made sure I understood that when you do a job, do it right the first time.  You don't get paid to go back and do it right the second time.

Think about that from a business owners perspective.  As a business owner, when you are paid to do a job and it is not done correctly, completely or with low quality....  what's the outcome?  A dissatisfied customer.  You need to go back and fix whatever was not done right the first time...  or finish what didn't get done...  for to fix the low-quality work (have you seen Scott and Amie Yancy on "Flipping Vegas" do a house walk through with a roll of blue tape?). The business owner doesn't get to charge more, or to get paid again, but the cost of rework are an unnecessary expense that just doesn't need to happen.  Have pride in your work and do it right the first time.

From an employees point of view, some may be thinking, what do you care?  You get more hours, you get paid for more hours (presuming it was an hourly job).  Why should you care?  The answer is simple, you are paid what you are worth, not what you need.  Just because you hand cups of coffee out a window or taking fast food orders, doesn't mean you are worth $15 per hour.  Get educated to do something that has more value.  Obviously, we have found that order taking can be automated...  learn to install or repair that equipment.  I once had a person working for me that did nothing but bitch and complain about anything and everything.  The person was capable of doing some things extremely well, but when they didn't feel like doing what I wanted, they found excuses, did horrible work and honestly, most customers did not want to have to work with the person.  Despite the fact I believe they were really being paid much more than the value added to the business, they made pretty good money nevertheless.  The problem arose when there were opportunities for advancement or special high profile task - why were they never chosen?  Why didn't they get bonuses?  Why?  They didn't fulfill the opportunity the job presented right, the first time and every time.  If you want to move up: earn it, prove it. and make your employer be your absolute best customer.

This leads me to the second truth.  A person I consider a great friend and mentor (and yes, mentors can be younger than you are) turned me on to books and reading.  Self-improvement, leadership, and management books to be exact.  I'd like to think I was a good guy to work for, perhaps too soft at times, perhaps not opened eyed enough at times, but always, caring for those that worked for me.  I always stood in front of them and protected them.  However, there is always more to learn and ways to improve.  The second truth is when you take care of others, they will take care of you.  Don't read that only on the surface, read and think deep.

One of the many books I refer to in my lifelong learning process is "The Purple Cow" by Seth Godin.  While not my favorite book, it begins right away with the second truth, in not so many words.  Please get the book and read the first chapter for the details.  It led me to the making of purple cow lapel pins to give to truly extraordinary people.  What's an extraordinary person?  A person that does their job or performs their actions in such a way that people remember how good they are.  It's easy to remember those who are a pain in the keester, but, what name comes right to mind when you think of someone extraordinary?  They just might be a member of my purple cow club.  They do what they do in such a way it makes you smile.  Just as if you had seen a purple cow grazing in the pastures of France as you drove through the countryside many years ago ...  you'd still be talking about how extraordinary that was.

I recently gave Pam Willette a purple cow pin, she is truly an amazing person and an important part of the Scentsy family.  I've got a pin with Cait's name on it from Dunkin Donuts, Ludlow, MA - she should be a customer service trainer for Dunkin to teach other that work the window how to be as extraordinary as she is.

If we all stopped complaining (especially when others do things differently than you would have) and starting giving more than they take...  and became extraordinary in all we do, I think we'd all feel a whole lot better about ourselves.  If you have people in your life that can't do that, maybe we should start seeking out those we should be connecting with.

My best

- - - 
Check out my Scentsy Web store at: http://DanGreeley.Scentsy.us
Want to join my amazing team of consultants?  http://bit.ly/JoinDan

Never, ever, forget how amazing you are and can be!




No comments: