Sunday, December 25, 2016

Merry Christmas, with a Touch of Old School

This has not been the easiest of Christmas seasons for me, the Christmas spirit never seemed to break through and bring in the joy and happiness of the season.  I've tried, nothing worked.  Whatever your faith and beliefs are, I did use to go to church.  For a very long time, I have fallen off the wagon so to speak, and perhaps, that has something to do with the declining mental state and life turmoil.  I'm sure it is not the entire cause, but, I'm also sure it has played a role.  A little after 11:00 pm tonight, after all others in this household had long ago gone to bed, I was searching for a church online with a midnight Christmas service.  Don't they do that anymore?  In any case, I did not find one close enough to go to, but I did catch some semblance of what I was looking for on TV of all places.

I finished wrapping gifts I had gotten.  I won't go into the details, but I think part of my issue with Christmas, gift giving, and how we do things today, is that I don't like the way it is done... it is not personal or with feelings at all, at least in my humble opinion.  Meaning no disrespect to how you or anyone else celebrates, I'm just not a fan of how disrespectful, impatient, and the lack of love in the world today.  Maybe it is just me.

I remind myself all the time of the teaching I have received of some of the best teachers in the world on personal development.  I remember times in the past where I would wish or pray for things "as I wanted the", or thought they should be.  Maybe that was not always the same as God had things planned, or in his timeframe.  I first heard it from Jim Rohn, he said: "don't wish for life to be easier, wish that I were better".  I keep trying and that is what keeps me going.  The tension in my shoulders is getting unbearable, I need to get a lot better, soon!

So at some time this side of midnight, Christmas Day 2016, I got a little bit of Christmas spirit.  I went in and spruced up the 3 trees we have (down from 17 last year) only because my wife came home for a few weeks and wanted a tree and my son Tyler came home from his job in Florida, and he has the decorator touch, wanted one too.  They all decorated a few days ago, I had little involvement, no spirit or desire.  Tonight, I finished them to look like the amazing trees we use to have.  I'm hoping, when the Carol and the 3 boys awake and come down in the morning, they will enjoy them.  I know I like them a whole lot now and am really missing all that was wasted this year with my lack of motivation....  what a waste.

It reminds me of the stories I remember that back in the day, even before the time when I was a kid, kids would go to bed at night on Christmas Eve in anticipation of Santa coming.  Santa would bring a tree, decorate it and leave a few present for the good boys and girls.  That may have happened when I was young, I just don't remember.  I do remember waking up about 3:00 am, finding that Santa had been there and waking my sisters up (or they woke me up)...  we'd finally wake my parents about 4:00 am to open presents.  Never knew why they didn't get much sleep.

So, here I am at 3:07 am, the trees are finished, Santa has arrived, things are more or less cleaned up and it's time to catch a few winks.  Merry Christmas to each and everyone that may read this... I'm hoping your Christmas is a special day in your heart and that the New Year will bring forth your wishes, desires, and lots of happiness.

Never forget, the reason for the season is the birth of Jesus, first and foremost, however you celebrate it.

My main trees grouping, 2016

My kids 2016


No comments: