Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Dr Drew, I respectfully disagree...

I'd put my laptop down, turned off the light, but not the TV. I flipped through the channels and stopped on CNN Headline News. Dr. Drew was discussing a segment that appeard to be titled "Fat Discrimination".

 Although I jumped in mid stream, I watched, listened, and couldn't take it anymore.  I turned on the light, fired up the laptop and am writing that I respectfully disagree. First, I will say I apologize if I miss the names of the persons that were on the show, that is not important.. this is about the title, Fat Discrimination, and where the main guest has a valid argument.

The gist of what I got, from what I saw, is that a person named Jordan was at a bar where they essentially had a dancing karaoke (that's my term, not one from the show).  Patrons could dance on the bar or tables doing their sexy dance to the enjoyment of the patrons.  Jordan was apparently not what the patrons were looking for and was asked to get down and stop dancing.  It seems references were made to her about her weight.  One apparently referenced that she was obviously pregnant while in fact, she was not.  Jordan was humiliated, mortified  and is claiming "Fat Discrimination".  She was just trying to have fun like everyone else.

 Your guest, Carnie Wilson, and you, both appeared to support her position, to the point where you almost bashed callers or supporters that did not agree.  A second guess, who's name escapes me, who was associated with some organization dealing with obesity, did not agree with you, Carnie or Jordan either.  Neither do I.

There was a lot of conversation about feelings, how humilating it must have been to her (Jordan) and how insensitive the bar owners were. While it may have been humilating and Jordan may have felt bad, it is not the business owners responsibility to make Jordan feel good.  A called who was a bar owner called from California, who also did not agree, was asked about the decision to have her step down, if money was more important than Jordan's feelings.... YES!  Even I get that.  That's the purpose of a business, to make money!!!

While the actual method or words used to ask her step down may not have been done with tack, dignity or sensitivity, it does not change the fact that what is important is the business, not Jordan's feelings.  Her feelings do NOT overrule the owners nor the patrons....  ever.   Customer service is king, although it does not always mean the customer is right; nor the customer gets their own way.  If customers do not like the way they are treated, go some where else...  it's simple.  If enough people leave, the business will change or it will close.

Where do we draw the line? If a 600 pound woman came in and wanted to dance, do they have to let her, even of the patrons boo and raise a scene? Should she too raise fat discrimination?  What if a 15 year old teenager wanted to dance, should they allow her, or should she raise age discrimination because she feels bad too?

You mentioned the bigger picture... I think the bigger picture is that this country has turned into a goodie two-shoes, feel good place. Everyone feels entitled to what "they" want.  We are afraid to fail kids in school that can not read, because they will feel bad.  We allow girls to join boys sports teams, boys to join girls sports teams. Why can't we have an all boys team, or all girls teams?  Why can't we have things that just not everyone can participate in if they don't qualify?  I'm not saying we can reasonably protect indigent, protect people in the sake of safety and welfare, but not just because they don't qualify.  We only allow tall players to play basketball in the NBA... should I claim short discrimination and make them allow me to play, otherwise I will feel bad?  We only allow smart people to become doctors.... maybe Jordan wants to be a doctor but she doesn't have the money for medical school or the ability to pass the medical boards. Should she clain financial or intellegence discrimination?  I could go on for weeks.

 I think government, states and other authorities need to stay out of business owners business when it is not a matter of public safety, health or welfare (and feel good does not qualify for welfare).  This is not necessarily a fair world. Get use to it and get a grip on it that and find something you can do or find another way to do what you want.  Do the best with what you have.  We are all not going to sing at the Super Bowl, deal with it.  Chances are there are a lot of things we can not do because we don't have the facilities to... oh well.  If I can't ride a horse in the Kentucky Derby, and I want to just like the rest of the jockeys, and they won't let me?  What if they tell me I obviously have a beer belly?  I don't drink beer, I'd be humiliated and I'll feel bad.  Do I have a valid case of Fat Discrimination?  I think not, I'm just not what the cheering fans want riding on their favorite horse.

 Dr. Drew, I disagree with you, Jordan was not discriminated against... she just didn't have what the customers wanted.  Deal with it.

No comments: