Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Facebook or Twitter (or Google+)?

I'm not the most prolific blogger by any means.  I wish I took the time to post something each day, but he day seems to slip right by before I've taken it by the horns and slowed it down.  However, since I don't blog all that much, I'm wondering, where am I going to get the most bang for my buck?

I will admit I use Facebook more than Twitter, but it just seems like it is easier to post on Facebook than it is on Twitter.  Not to mention, without Twitter's 140 character limitation, it's sometimes easier to tell the whole story in a single post without having to follow a link to ....  well, almost anywhere.

Yesterday I wrote about a class project my daughter has going for her school class, learning about America.  She thought it would be cool to see how many states her class could receive cards from, during the weeks of talks about America.  She sent an e-mail to a few out of state family and friends asking us if we could mail her class a state themed postcard.  She also asked that if we knew anyone that lived out of state, maybe we could please pass her message along to them.  She wondered how many states she would get cards from.

I know people everywhere, so went to my e-mail, my Facebook account and my Twitter account and essentially posted the same message with a link to yesterday's blog post:  http://bit.ly/Postcd.

The cool thing about bit.ly (and I'm sure other URL shortening sites), it gives me stats about who and when people click on that link I just entered (http://bit.ly/Postcd).  It tells me from what source people clicked on the link....  in fact, it even tells me when they are using a m. reference (meaning they were using their smartphone).  That's cool.  What I found most surprising was that Facebook out clicked Twitter by 26 to 1...  that's HUGE!  Even mobile browsers out clicked Twitter, 11 to 1.  That tells me, forget twitter, focus on first on Facebook to get my story out there, then on smart phones....  forget Twitter.

Is that what you experience?

On a whim, I wandered over to Google+...  found I must had already been there, or it pulled info from my gmail account and built a profile for me.  I filled a little more information so it looked a bit more like I was using it, when in fact I was not.  I really don't get how Google+ works.  Is it just Google's version of Facebook done the way they want it?  Maybe I'm old and set in my ways, Facebook seemed much easier.

What do you think?

No comments: