Sunday, June 19, 2011

A Day With the Boys

Yesterday (almost Father's Day), I got to spend the day with my youngest son Travis and my two sons-in-law, Garrett and Pockey.  I'm not sure "sons-in-law" is a correct phrase, it sound weird.  Garrett and Pockey are both golfers; Travis is a 16 year old natural for someone that really does not play regularly...  he has a lot to learn and could probably become very good with some coaching and practice.  Me, I play once or twice a year at events hosted where I work as "golf events", but are more of a take the afternoon off and let's relax and have fun.  Relax and golf - that could be an oxymoron.

We played at Ledges in South Hadley, MA, the first time there for any of us.  They said the course was on the short side so we played the blue tees.  To me, all courses are long whether we play red, white, blue  or gold.  Typical day on the course for me...  hit the first ball a country mile, the next one about a foot as it popped straight up in the air, then another OK shot followed by woods, rough, bunkers and lots of two and three putting.  Of course, I wanted to make a better showing, but it really didn't matter, I got to spend time with a few of the boys that normally doesn't happen.

I think if I were to flash back 10 or 15 years, yet being able to be in the same place I am today, I would have a closer relationship with the boys and would be able to hang out with them (and keep up with them).  I know things change, I know I have, I often wish I could do all I use to do.

Although I don't think we took any pictures yesterday to look back on, I'll always have what I can remember about the day (like how the two big boys wanted to humble the little one for how they played last time - I think Travis played pretty well last time - he cam on stronger yesterday toward the end).  Thanks guys... but next time, please have a masseuse ready for my feet... I know I had a cart to ride in, but my feet still hurt.

Father's Day morning - Travis comes down at 10:30 and is making me coffee and toast.  Sweet.

No comments: